Sunday 3 June 2012

Preparing to Paint in Provence


In less than three weeks I will be packing (or maybe cramming) my paints, canvases, some clothes and an easel in a suitcase and heading off to France, to paint in Provence. Having been an art history major (as well as a studio art student) at university many long years ago it was necessaire to see what I had studied and I have had the good fortune over the last 30 years to have travelled widely in France and seen  much of the art and architecture I once studied and continue to admire, particularly now as a painter.

I have been fantasizing about doing this sort of thing for years - and finally found what I hope will be the perfect course and place in which to paint the landscape that inspired among others, Van Gogh,  Cezanne and Matisse. The course is organized by the Art League of Alexandria (Virginia) and the instructor is the painter Susan Abbott. The group will stay at Arts in Provence, in a tiny place called Les Bassacs, a short drive from Apt and close to Rousillon and Gorde - all in the Luberon area of the Vaucluse, a departement in Provence.

In addition to preparing for the trip and the daily demands of living, I am trying to get some painting time in too, so I will be primed and ready to paint en plein air, once there. The results are some small landscapes based on photos I have taken in the past.  The one below is reminiscent of Georgian Bay cottage country. I don't usually worry too much about 'local colour' when painting nature, but I tried to be  a little more restrained in this one and am pleased with the result.

Trees, Water, Rocks and Sky  
10"x 10" - acrylic on canvas - sold



1 comment:

  1. Oh...you lucky one! I was there in December and it was gorgeous. I didn't get much painting time in but will go back when the kids are older and do an "all painting, all the time" type trip. Have a blast!!

    ReplyDelete