Tuesday 5 May 2015

Painting an 'Apple a Day'


I am not a daily painter in that I start and complete a small painting each day – but I do, usually, paint every day, working on several canvases of varying sizes. Of course that daily activity is affected when life takes over, as it does from time to time.

Last week I set myself the challenge of painting an apple a day, for 30 days. It sounded relatively easy – one subject (hence no deliberation over what to paint), and a small 6" x 6" format (so not taking a lot of time). The biggest decisions involved were to be the position of the apple, its placement in the composition, and the artistic interpretation.
#1
On the first day I painted one (#1) - and the next day I painted two (#2 and #3). I found that while waiting for paint to dry I wanted to start another, or having squeezed out too much paint and not wanting to waste it, it was easier just to start another.  I also really began to like the exercise and trying to figure out yet another way to paint basically the same subject.  At this point I have painted eight in as many as days and thus am on track to finish the 30 in 30 days, but in my own not quite daily way. So now that I am publicly committed to painting 22 more, it's time to start work.

#2
#3

#4
                                            

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful idea and I love what you have painted. Thanks for sharing your wonderful artwork!

    ReplyDelete