Wednesday 22 October 2014

Moody Blues

Moody Blues
24" x 36"  - acrylic on canvas  
This is for sale - contact me for price if interested.
I have been fascinated by the shapes and patterns of 'reflections' in water for quite some time, and take photos of them whenever I can. Once back in the studio I play with those images on the computer, isolating and cropping to find interesting abstract compositions. Once found I reduce, eliminate, exaggerate the image through a series of sketches and then continue that process on the canvas. This painting is the result of that kind of process, and for once - I stopped before it looked too polished! As someone who loves colour, it was a challenge to work with a limited and muted palette - but I love the subtlety of colours and the way the blue, green and violets paint hues muddied when they intermixed with the charcoal and pastel used to draw the surface patterning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment