Sunday 2 March 2014

The Rocks at Ucluelet

The Rocks at Ucluelet
48" x 48" - acrylic on canvas
SOLD

Last September we did a 12-day road trip that started on Vancouver Island and finished with a drive through the Canadian Rockies. If you have traveled in this part of Canada you know how visually stunning the landscape is, ‘out west’. Breath taking and spectacular are words that come to mind. Before seeing and being surrounded by snow capped mountains I did wonder about the appeal of painting them – but now I get it!

I have sifted through my 1400+ photos of mountains, lakes, trees, river valleys, a glacier, and coastal views, and have selected a number of images that I hope will be starting points for lots of future paintings. There is nothing like new reference material, to get one re-inspired and squish out the paint and get down to business.


This painting is based on one of those photos, a view of the very dramatic, rocky coastline on the  Wild Pacific Trail at Ucluelet, on the west coast of Vancouver Island. My interpretation is less craggy than what exists, but I am pleased with the sense of scale and mood of isolation suggested by the light and colour.


















No comments:

Post a Comment