It has been a couple of days since I started this large 4' x 4' painting, inspired by lily ponds in general and based on a detail from a photo I took of a lily and pads in a decorative pond. To remind you (and myself) this is what day 1 looked like....
I was unhappy with the shape of the lily pads here, and was uncomfortable with some of the empty water/blue space. When working from photos there is always a point at which I have to put that image aside, and work with what I have on the canvas. After all painting should involve some creativity......so I started by re-drawing the shapes of the large lily pads at the top and bottom, and then began to add more pads in the areas that looked a little too empty. The lily flower was actually a delicate blue-violet, as was the bud, but I decided to darken and alter the colour in order to make them stand out. I am not certain they will remain the colours you see here, but I am happy with how they appear at this point. I really like the suggestion of more lily pads indicated with just a darker blue outline, but disappearing back into the water (as they do) through colour. I could also achieve this same effect by making these pads a slightly darker blue, but will leave them for now. I also outlined many of the shapes with some dark violet paint and this has given the painting a strong graphic feel, which I like, but I am not sure that I want to maintain. Time to take another break, and figure out my next steps and will get back to work in a day or two. Cheers.