Sunday 27 January 2019

Nova Scotia South Shore


Nova Scotia South Shore
30" x 40" - (mostly) acrylic on canvas - $600
This has been kicking around my studio since 2016. The year before that I spent a couple of weeks in the Maritimes including Nova Scotia. As we drove along the South Shore (of the Atlantic, south of Halifax, near Lunenburg) I snapped this photo, liking the composition and seeing 'painting possibilities'.
A year later I finally got around to working with it and started this way...

....but then the painting languished, against a wall, though I am not sure why. A year later in 2017, I changed the palette entirely.  And in the interim between then and now I painted an abstracted version of it.
Recently, I picked it up again and decided to finish it 'once and for all'. I felt it just really needed some more variation in the colour values and blue hues and that's what I did. NOW I am very happy with it: love the palette, loose brushwork, and addition of pastel and ink linear marks. Some details are below. Thanks for looking!






No comments:

Post a Comment