Tuesday 16 February 2016

Radiant River



Radiant River
30" x 40" - acrylic on canvas - sold


I finished this painting about a week ago after working on it over many weeks. Here is how it evolved.

1-pretty basic at this point
2-it took a long time to get it here - but it felt boring.
3-with nothing to lose I added lots of vertical marks connecting the trees (on the right) with the reflections and began to turn colours into abstract shapes; started too like it and could then see how to proceed - yeah!


As the reflections took on greater abstract form and began to project, I realized the need to restrain myself and other areas of the painting - pushing those areas 'back' by 's pushed back other areas by softening edges, using a mushy brushstroke and muted colours.  At one point I played with a bit of foreground in the lower left and right corners but finally took them out, creating a much stronger sense of asymmetrical balance. 
I am really happy with the final painting - and the sense of serenity and peacefulness I think it conveys.















No comments:

Post a Comment