Tuesday 10 November 2015

Another Theme - Another Variation - Provence Meadow II

                                            3                                              1                                                 2

In May I was plein-air painting here (1) and back in the studio later that day, I painted 2 and 3 based on this particular scene. What had intrigued me about the location was the dappled light through the trees, and the light and dark value pattern on the ground leading back to the dark tree verticals with the light behind. It was a view full of artistic possibilities, and I knew that I would return to it as a subject for further exploration.
After working on several larger canvases this fall I decided to try a larger interpretation of the scene. I began by drawing lines denoting tree shapes and areas to suggest shade and foreground on the white canvas with the intense pencil crayons, then applied water with a brush to soften and obliterate the lines and created a watery effect.  Then I a started to add some acrylic and basically kept painting.
              
As I painted and at the end added more intense pencil lines where I wanted some graphic emphasis - which you may be able to see in the details below.


The finished painting looks like this - and I was pretty happy with it - having achieved a painterly, abstract, loose version of the field. And I love the colour too.

Provence Meadow II
40" x 30"  acrylic on canvas





2 comments:

  1. Patricia, love your painting and your approach to painting and your experimentation and your painting the same scene repeatedly in differing ways. Just gave a good 15 minutes to feasting my eyes at your blog. Dotty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love number #2 with the purple trees! Caroline xo.

    ReplyDelete