Saturday 6 June 2015

Back in the Studio




Redstone Morning
24" x 18"  - acrylic on canvas - NFS
I have been home from my painting trip to the south of France for almost a week, and I have to say that I had a wonderful time. Not a big surprise, I know. I have lots of landscape reference material that will keep me busy for the rest of the year, but before considering any of that, and reflecting on what I learned and experienced about plein air painting, I needed to get back to the incomplete work on my easel that had a looming deadline. The painting was to be a wedding gift for a young couple being married - tomorrow - and it depicts a view that is familiar to them and myself, of a tiny island on Redstone Lake where we and her family have cottages and have spent the last twenty odd summers.
   As I painted Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I went through the usual phases of liking it, hating it, worrying whether they would like it, worrying whether I liked it, and so on.  On Thursday I considered painting an entirely different scene, then I thought I would just do another version, then I just decided to keep painting - which was the best decision. By mid-afternoon Friday, it felt done and I was happy with it and think (and hope) they will like it for the 'personal connection to place', and as an artwork from someone they know.  For fun (I was in need of letting go at that point) I decided to do another, abstract version of the same scene. It came together very quickly - and yes it was fun and I really like it. Have a great Sunday!
Update........the bride and groom loved the painting.....yeah!

Redstone Morning Abstract 
24" x 18" - acrylic on canvas - SOLD






2 comments: