Thursday 12 December 2013

Up Close - with the Anders Zorrn limited palette

Up Close
9" x 12" - acrylic on canvas
nfs
This small painting is based on a photo of my daughter (a favourite subject) and is my submission to this week's Daily Paint Works challenge. The challenge called for a limited palette - something I always think of doing, but find difficult to follow. The palette of cadmium red, yellow ochre, white and black is based on the palette of the famous 19th Swedish painter Anders Zorn. He did a lot of portraits and nudes - and these colours allowed me to make some great natural looking flesh tones. I am quite happy with the painting, though am still not sure I like the subdued background colour. Will have to look and think about that for awhile longer.







No comments:

Post a Comment