Friday 1 January 2016

Happy New Year!



Happy New Year. Yes, it’s that time of year to set art (and other) goals and just, well you know, think about how one can ‘do better’.  Today’s letter from Sara Genn of the Twice Weekly Letters at The Painters Keys was about ‘Making a Plan’ and I found it helpful and timely. I have been in a bit of an art funk lately (feeling uninspired and bored with whatever I was painting) and have tried to get out of it by continuing to just ‘jump into painting’ (but mostly wasted  a lot of paint and time), without the preliminary work that is often necessary for a successful outcome. These failures have not been fun, and I have known for several weeks that I needed to try something else.

Sara writes 
            “……if you’re going to make a plan, why not work backwards? Begin with your dream. Be as specific as 
              possible……. Imagine, for example, the art you always wanted to make. Visualize in detail this reckless,
             heightened expression of your creativity……...Make a long list. Visualize anything, everything; let your 
             imagination soar. What’s needed? What do you really want? What’s practical? Throw in some luck”.

In order to get back on track, have fun and enjoy painting again, I need to do some thinking, maybe re-focusing, some experimentation, and more drawing. So I am going to make my list and a plan. Whether I share it or stick to it is another question, but it seems like a good thing to try on this, the first day of 2016. I hope that you and yours have wonderful day and best wishes for a healthy and happy coming year!






2 comments:

  1. Best of luck with your new plan and strategy! Wishing you both a very Happy New Year!
    By the way that beach looks wonderful XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Danielle - and happy new year to you and yours as well! The beach is actually on the Isle de la Madeleine, from last September, not Florida, but the mood is the same. I did make my plan-list and am starting today! hahah

    ReplyDelete