Wednesday 27 March 2013

Summer in Provence

Summer in Provence
24" x 24"  acrylic on canvas  SOLD

If you have ever driven along country roads in France - you have seen this kind of landscape - yellows fields on either side of a route bordered by tall platane (or plane) trees. I have painted this kind of view before but really wanted to do a larger version. This painting is based on one of my photos from last year's trip to Provence, after my painting course, when I visited my friend Josiane.  I have become enamored with the element of shape in recent paintings - and wanted to emphasized them here - in the cast shadows, foliage mass and sky holes.  I restricted my palette to more 'natural' landscape colours - cranked up just a notch. I love this subject so much I might just do it again, using a more fauve palette - what do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment